For the Brown Canada Project.
Brown Canada: Komagata Maru Plays Volunteer Posting
(Part Time – Until end of June)
Start & End Dates : May- end of June 2012
Brown Canada, lead by CASSA, is a community-led history project to encourage South Asian communities to create and document their histories in Canada creatively, through writing, video, interviews, art, theatre or other means. Our collective entry point for this project is through the Komagata Maru incident of 1914, when a ship of South Asian people was denied entry into Canada due to restrictive immigration policy known as the continuous journey regulation. Through this project, we are creating an interactive website, offering educational and creative workshops, producing a short video as well as seeking to tour a short theatre piece to raise awareness of the incident and spark community dialogue within Ontario.
The Council of Agencies Serving South Asians (CASSA) is currently recruiting a team of volunteers to help out with the final Komagata Maru Play that will be held on June 27.
We are looking for a team of volunteers to be responsible for assisting in media relations, community outreach, stage hands, costume design . These positions will work closely and report to the project coordinator.
- Community outreach to spreak word about the event
- Stagehands & lighting
- Help out with set designs, makeup, and costumes
- Volunteers of all ages are welcome
- Relevant interest in theatre or experience
- Interest in educating others about South Asian/PoC history is always a bonus!If you do not have experience working with community members, community organizations and agencies, and or theatre, but are interested in working on the play, feel free to send in your resume.We are hoping to have a volunteer meeting as soon as possible, so please email Deena at email@example.com before June 15th if you are interested in working with CASSA on this project.
CASSA is committed to employment equity & encourages applicants from equity seeking groups.
Brown Canada & CASSA
Position Type: Arts / Crafts, Community Outreach, Event Helpers, Performing
Duration: Short term (Less than 6 months)
Great For: Youth (ages 13-18), Youth (over 18), Groups, 40 hour high school program, Physically Challenged, English as a Second Language, Virtual (can be done remotely), Wheelchair Accessible