Application Deadline: Monday, April 30, 2012
Timeline: Immediate start date – June 29, 2012
Budget: $4000 allocated
Brown Canada is a community-led history project to encourage South Asian communities to create and document their histories in Canada creatively, through writing, video, interviews, art, theatre or other means. Our collective entry point for this project is through the Komagata Maru incident of 1914, when a ship of South Asian people was denied entry into Canada due to restrictive immigration policy known as the continuous journey regulation. Through this project, we will be creating an interactive website, offering educational & creative workshops, producing a short video as well as seeking to tour a short theatre piece to raise awareness of the incident and spark community dialogue within Ontario.
Purpose of the RFP:
We are looking for individuals or organizations with members that might be willing to develop vignettes based on the Komagata Maru incident and related themes of exclusion, questions of belonging and unspoken/unknown histories, among others. We would hope that the vignettes could be performed in different venues across the province, around 4 performances across Toronto, and 5 outside of Toronto. These projects will be performed at various times from May to July 2012. Staff at CASSA would set up the performances and facilitate the community dialogues following the performances. We do have a small budget and can provide compensation for the development of the work and pay travel expenses for the actors.
- Strong artistic merit
- Interest or experience in theatre
- Interest in Canadian South Asian history
- Ability to work efficiently and meet tight deadlines
- South Asian identifying preferred
Please send us a CV and a brief proposal (100 to 200 words) detailing your idea for a performance.
It is expected that the submitted proposals will cover the items specified below:
- CV detailing experience and qualifications of applicant
- Necessary skills, experience and or interest in theatre and South Asian history
- Estimated overall timeline of the project, indicating how soon the individual can commence writing
** Any questions should be submitted by e-mail no later than April 28, 2012
Interested candidates should submit a proposal by Monday, April 30, 2012 at 4 pm, by either:
- Emailing email@example.com and providing your application.
- Or delivering your application by mail or in person to:
Deena Hai, CASSA
2401 Eglinton Ave. East, Unit 212
CASSA is committed to employment equity & encourages applicants from equity seeking groups.
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- canada-news reblogged this from browncanada
- tofuforlunch likes this
- mickyalexvstheworld likes this
- racismfreeontario reblogged this from espritfollet and added:
- everseeking reblogged this from espritfollet
- espritfollet reblogged this from browncanada
- afrafemme reblogged this from fuckyeahethnicmen
- unknown20troper reblogged this from fuckyeahethnicmen and added:
- fuckyeahethnicmen reblogged this from browncanada
- shamelessmag reblogged this from browncanada
- kagey likes this
- etiquette-etc reblogged this from browncanada
- theresabreaux reblogged this from jhameia
- ladyfabulous reblogged this from espritfollet
- dancingfrogger likes this
- bohemianparadise reblogged this from fuckyeahethnicwomen
- daughterofwinterhell reblogged this from fuckyeahethnicwomen
- jhameia reblogged this from fuckyeahethnicwomen
- fuckyeahethnicwomen reblogged this from racismfreeontario and added:
- browncanada posted this